Phentermine Alternatives in Generic Prescription Drugs!
Phentermine is a prescription medication used to suppress appetite and aid in weight loss. However, the drug is associated with side effects like insomnia, dry mouth, and elevated blood pressure. As a result, some people prefer to seek phentermine alternatives that may provide similar benefits with fewer drawbacks. In this article, we will explore some of the generic medication options that can be used in place of phentermine, along with their pros and cons.
Phentermine Is a medication recommended by medical practitioners and is a prescription drug to suppress appetite and aids weight loss. Some side effects associated with it are insomnia, dry mouth and increased blood pressure. Due to these reasons, many people look for Phentermine alternatives that can provide similar effects with fewer side effects. So in this article, we will discuss some of the alternative generic medications to phentermine and understand its pros and cons.
What are Generic Prescription Drugs?
By now you have heard quite a number of times about generic drugs but what exactly is it? A generic drug is a medication that contains the same active ingredient as the brand name of the drug. In most cases, it is produced by a different company after the patent for the original drug has expired.
As a result, it gives other manufacturers a chance and flexibility to create less expensive versions of the original medication. Though there is nothing to worry about its efficacy Generic drugs must undergo the same rigorous testing and approval process as brand-name drugs and are subject to the same quality standards without any compromise.
Is Phentermine FDA Approved for Weight Loss | Facts To Know
So having known about generic medicines you can have other benefits of it as compared to the original ones. One of the prime advantages of generic prescription drugs is that they are often significantly cheaper than their brand-name counterparts. Thus making it an affordable option for people who are uninsured or underinsured, or for those whose insurance does not cover a particular expensive brand-name drug.
Another reason why some people prefer generic drugs over brand-name counterparts is that they may have fewer additives or fillers than brand-name drugs. Having stated the benefits we would also like to clarify the potential disadvantages that you can face while using generic prescription drugs.
For example, while it is clear that active ingredients in generic drugs are the same as those in brand-name drugs, the inactive ingredients (such as binders and fillers) might vary. Thus it can lead to differences in how the medication is getting absorbed and metabolized by your body, which can impact its effectiveness or cause side effects accordingly. We have observed some people often prefer brand-name drugs because they perceive them to be of higher quality or are more familiar to them.
Phentermine Alternatives |Generic Medication Options|
- The first alternative you must know about is Phendimetrazine (Bontril), also known as Bontril. It is a prescription medication used to enhance weight loss. It works in a similar mechanism by suppressing appetite and increasing metabolism. Just Like phentermine, it is a stimulant medication that can cause side effects such as insomnia and increased heart rate. However, it is observed that some people find that phendimetrazine is a more tolerable option than phentermine. According to a study published in the journal Obesity, phendimetrazine was associated with a greater reduction in body weight and waist circumference than phentermine over a time period of 12 weeks.
- The second that comes in the list of alternatives is Diethylpropion (Tenuate), which is another prescription medication that works in helping you in weight loss. Just Like phendimetrazine, it works by suppressing your appetite and increasing metabolism which helps in weight loss. In a similar way, It is also a stimulant medication and can cause similar side effects as phentermine. It is observed that some people find that diethylpropion is a more effective or tolerable option than phentermine. According to a study published in the Journal of Obesity and Weight Loss Therapy, diethylpropion was associated with a greater reduction in body weight and waist circumference than phentermine over a 16-week period.
- The third that comes to the list is Orlistat (Xenical)Orlistat, also known as Xenical, is a prescription medication used to aid in weight loss by hindering the absorption of dietary fat. Its mechanism includes blocking an enzyme called lipase that is responsible for breaking down fat in the digestive system. In simple terms, it breaks down the fat consumed in the diet and makes it through the body undigested, which leads to weight loss. As Orlistat is not a stimulant medication so it does not have the same potential for side effects as phentermine. Though it has the possibility to cause gastrointestinal side effects such as diarrhea and flatulence. According to a study published in the journal Obesity Reviews, orlistat was associated with a greater reduction in body weight than phentermine over a time period of 12 months.
- The fourth alternative that you need to know about is Lorcaserin (Belviq). Lorcaserin, also known as Belviq, is a prescription drug used for a similar purpose which is to aid in weight loss. Its working mechanism is different compared to the other alternatives. It works by activating a specific receptor in the brain that helps to regulate hunger. Thus Lorcaserin as not a stimulant medication does not possess the same potential for side effects as phentermine. However, it is associated with side effects such as headache, nausea, and dizziness. According to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, Lorcaserin was associated with a greater reduction in body weight and waist circumference than placebo over an observed time period of 52 weeks.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Phentermine Alternatives
- One of the main advantages of using phentermine alternatives is that they may have fewer side effects than phentermine and you can understand by the facts we have stated above.
- Some people may find that these medications are more tolerable and effective than phentermine. Also, it is observed that some people prefer using generic prescription drugs because they are less expensive than brand-name drugs. However, as stated above they too possess some potential disadvantages to using phentermine alternatives. For instance, some of these medications are also stimulants and can cause side effects similar to phentermine.
- Lastly, all medications might not be completely effective or safe for everyone. It is important to discuss the potential risks and benefits of these medications with a healthcare provider before you plan to consume them.